So, your bike has been stolen. What to do now?
A few warnings before we start searching for your bike:
- Bike thieves are criminals, for that reason it is important that you do not take any risks. Ensure that you keep a safe distance from the thieves if you find them, and make sure to contact the police to get hold of the stolen bike.
Searching for the Bike:
1. Report the Theft to Bikefinder via the "Report theft" button under the device in your app. We will contact you immediately and help you.
2. Activate Tracking mode on the device to get more position updates.
3. Use the history under the device to track the bike in the BikeFinder app.
4. Keep the app open while you are searching for the bike, ensure that you have bluetooth enabled.
5. If you can not find a GPS position in the app, see if you can find the latest GSM position. Move to that location and start searching around using the bluetooth. If the bike is nearby, the bluetooth signal will light up in the app an show the distance in meters to the bike. Use this to get closer to the bike while moving around. Again: Ensure that you keep a safe distance from the thieves if you find them, and make sure to contact the police to get hold of the stolen bike.
6. If the app finds the bike over bluetooth, you will get the position visible on your map, if you see the new position marked as BLE (bluetooth), start looking into the range to the bike, and get closer to it. However, it is important that you do not take any unecessary risks.
GPS positions are accurate to about 10 meters, GSM positions can be up to 1 500 meters, Bluetooth has a range in about 50 meters, depending on conditions. This means that starting from a GSM position, you might have to move around a bit to get the Bluetooth within range. Remember, if you are not getting any new positions, the tracker isn't moving, so it should be somewhere near.
We will contact you as soon as possible after you have reported the theft, to help out